Thursday, June 26, 2008

All the World's a Stage

As I mentioned at the end of my last post, yesterday was our first class trip to the Globe to see a Shakespeare play. I had been on the Globe tour during my last visit to London, but never before been to a play there, so it was a first-time experience for me this time around!



The Globe really is a rather unique theater experience. It is getting more and more popular in our modern world to be obsessed with the past, and therefore to try to revitalize the way things were done in the past, but I think with Shakespeare, nobody does it quite like the Globe.

The theater was built in the exact same manner as the original Globe back in Shakespearean times. They used the same building products from the wood, to the stakes holding the building together, to the thatched roof. Even the seats and stage and performances are all created to be as authentic as possible, which makes it all a very cool place to see a Shakespeare play.

On top of all of the authenticity, it is also very accessible. The "groundlings" on the floor around the stage are 5 pound tickets which can be purchased day-of, or in advance if you so wish. The seats around the outside however, should usually be booked in advance. My teacher was kind enough to get us seats for all of our Globe shows (we shall be going to three). However, he highly recommends buying a groundling ticket and standing for a play for a different kind of experience.

On Wednesday we saw King Lear. Three-hour-long Shakespearean tragedy is probably not the best time to be a groundling, so I was quite content in my seat. Although, even on my wooden bench, I have to admit my butt wasn't particularly happy by the time intermission, or the end of the play came. I also have to admit that Lear is not one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. It just doesn't do a whole lot for me, to be honest. It has it's good scenes, but I doubt I would go to see it again unless connected to class.

I won't go into specifics about characters and plot and the like, because honestly, Shakespearean analysis isn't what my blog is for. However, I will say that one thing they do to recreate the atmosphere of what they believe would have happened in Shakespeare's time is to make the curtain call at the end a bit of an event. The entire cast came out and sang this Olde English Ballad together - a very beautiful, mournful sounding piece, and slowly over the course of the song, resurrected each of the actors lying dead on the stage. When the song ended, they all stood together and did a jig for us before taking their bows. Yup. A jig. My teacher tried to explain this jig to us before it, but I don't think any of us appreciated the awesomeness of a massive group jig until we saw it onstage. It's supposed to liven things up and end on a more positive note than death and agony. It certainly worked.

So we were down on the South Bank all day, really. Before the play we toured the Globe, and after the play we sat in on a Q&A session with the actors who played Lear and Gloucester in the play. It made for a long, Shakespearean-filled day, but we had a little down time in between!

I took a walk down along the Thames with a few classmates for lunch at a Riverside pub with a lovely view of Saint Paul's Cathedral across the river. It was quite nice, and I think we might make a ritual of it on Globe days!

Here I am at the pub with the view of the river behind me!


Some of us beneath the Millenium Bridge:


Saint Paul's Cathedral Dome:


Today I took it very, very easy. After class this morning I stayed in for most of the day and just kind of relaxed around the flat. I decided I needed to chill a bit, and I figured I'd want to be active on the weekend.

This evening I met up with an old camp friend in Camden Town for dinner! It was the first time I'd seen her in I think somewhere around 8 years! We went to a Thai Pub for dinner. I had no idea that the British had Thai Pubs, but really, I figure, why not mix two great things? Thai food and the pub atmosphere? Awesome. The football game was on of course, Spain versus Russia, so it was quite a lively crowd and a good time was had by all!

I believe tomorrow morning I'm going to go to the Tower of London. Possibly. I wanted to do it again since it was really fun last time, so I figured I'd tag along with the group!

No comments: